Lori Randall


Dear Readers, it's been a long and winding road, this No "Poo" journey, and it's time I gave you the scoop:

While I can't say there's been any soul searching on this topic, it's certainly been an adventure.  The lure of lush, shiny locks in tandem with healthy, eco-friendliness got the best of me and I plunged into the baking soda, apple cider vinegar world of hair washing.

Ick.

Double ick.  Yuck.

So then I tried a new, homemade shampoo mousse made from marseilles soap, olive oil, black tea, and peppermint essential oil that worked a lot better, but faded my locks, which is most definitely NOT what this chocolatey hair color craving Momma wanted to see.

In the end, I decided that feeling like a dog for a week was enough of an experiment in video blog-ology and natural hair care.  Yesterday I lathered up with my normal shampoo, power boosted with some stuff from my colorist, conditioned, and felt like myself again.

God, it's good to be home!!! I will say, though, that even though the mousse looks a little like "Poo," it makes a fantastic shaving cream for legs! They felt fantastic and silky after drying off.  Who would have thought?  :D
6 Responses
  1. NYCEsthy Says:

    Ooo, I am in the middle of my own no-poo experience! Did you find the baking soda/vinegar was stripping your color? My color is stripping, but it was prior to trying the no-poo so I am apprehensive about blaming it just yet!


  2. Lori Randall Says:

    Oh NYCEsthy, I feel for you!!!! How long have you been no-poo? Everywhere I've researched none of the happy no-poo folks have had a frame of reference for color treated hair.

    If you're getting a little color, then it's going to fade a little anyway, but I definitely noticed a droop in color, as well as body. It was very soft, but lank, for lack of a better description.

    The mousse made from pure soap with olive oil, etc. felt a lot better than the baking soda solution, but it stripped it even more!

    I'll just have to eat cleaner, exercise more, and be a healthier person in other ways!!

    Please let us know how it goes!!


  3. Lori Randall Says:

    Oooh! Just subscribed to your beauty product review blog! This is going to be fun!!


  4. I did the no-poo thing with naturally colored hair.

    The thing that killed it for me was a flaky scalp. My hair was shiny, soft and gorgeous.

    I'm still sad and may have to try it again in the future.

    I didn't do the formula thing, though. I just did water.


  5. NYCEsthy Says:

    My scalp is actually terrific with the no-poo! It took about a week for the itch to stop, but I understand that's normal and the way your scalp re-balances itself after dealing with chemicals from the shampoo (it may look super oily for a week or so as well). My husband actually turned me on to doing it--I was holding out until I ran out of my Davines.

    He's been doing it for 8 months or so. I've been poo free for about a month and a half.

    I will say that the no-poo really cut down on the dryness from the color treatments. Until this weekend when I threw in a marine active and obviously screwed that up! And again today when I tried to counter act the marine active with jojoba oil. Today my hair resembles a giant grease ball. With fly-aways.

    Lori, thanks so much for subscribing to my blog!


  6. Lori Randall Says:

    My pleasure, believe me! I love beauty products that work well. Used to have a nice boutique and sell lots of them there, but I was a nazi about making sure they were top quality, all natural, but still seriously appealing and beautifully packaged. The market's come a long way in 10 years!

    Now I have to ask, how exactly have you been washing your hair? And have you been taking pics or videoing any of your experiment? Enquiring minds ... :p